- Tour Itinerary
- Tour Closed
This new 11 day tour starts in Porto, the country’s second largest city with its medieval Ribeira district, bustling plazas and Baroque churches. To the east, our walks focus on the villages, vineyards and natural parks of the Douro and Coa River Valleys. Staying in a luxury wine house at Quinta Nova, there are options for short walks above the Douro River. Alternatively you can try your hand at wine-caching (similar to geocaching but looking for wine caches instead)! We then follow an ancient trail still used by the locals to the medieval walled village of Marialva walking by old stone walls, vineyards, almond trees and little farms. Continuing along the Coa River valley we visit World Heritage listed stone carvings from the Paleolithic era. Lunch at a famous winery, visiting an archaeological park and following the Douro rail trail are other highlights of this area. After a boat ride on the Douro River, we visit a natural park featuring several birds of prey then walk on the Devil’s Path (Alpajares), once a Roman road. At the Faia Brava Natural Reserve, we search for the Griffon vulture and Bonelli’s eagle. Above the pilgrim’s village of Castelo Rodrigo, we climb a mountain ridge with sweeping views of the areas we have just visited and then follow a pilgrimage trail to Almeida with its hexagonal fortress. Transferring to Lisbon for our final nights, we have time for walks in the capital and exploring the significant historical and cultural precincts.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Faia Brava Natural Reserve
- Regional Food Wine Tastings
- Stay in a luxury wine house at Quinta Nova
- World Heritage Listed Douro Valley
- World Heritage Listed Riberia in Porto
Please email us to register your interest for future departures.
- Discover the rambling cobble-stoned streets of Porto
- Spend a week in the World Heritage listed Douro Valley, the birthplace of Port wine
- Hike between historic villages & stay in luxurious inns & boutique hotels
- Enjoy half & full day walks on village paths, Roman roads & rail trails
- Regional, seasonal food & wine tastings
- Spot birds of prey & unique wildlife in the natural & regional parks
- Explore the historical & cultural precincts of the capital city of Lisbon with local guides
02 - 12 June 2017 (10 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Porto, ends Lisbon)
Advanced Early Bird: A$6,150 until 25/11/2016
Early Bird: A$6,350 until 02/02/2017
Single Supplement: A$1,150
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 7 guests
Food, Culture, History, Geology
Moderate: . Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.