The majestic Bunya Mountains, less than three hours west of Brisbane, is a spectacular wilderness in an isolated section of the Great Dividing Range. We begin with two nights here amongst the cool eucalypt forests and woodlands, home to the world's largest forest of bunya pines. Walks feature panoramic mountain scenery with views over the South Burnett region and southern plains. Wallabies, pademelons, and hundreds of colourful parrots, rosellas and bowerbirds call this area home. Travelling via Kingaroy, Ban Ban Springs and Coalstoun Lakes National Park, we relax for two days with time to explore Cania Gorge National Park. This park protects a valuable remnant of the Brigalow Belts and is the closest park to the coast where you can see the sandstone landscapes of Central Queensland. Our next two nights are spent at the charming coastal town of Bargara, near Bundaberg. We stroll along the Burnett River, wander through the lush botanical gardens–home to the Hinkler Hall of Aviation, and visit the Bundaberg Rum Distillery. A day cruise to Lady Musgrave, the jewel of the Southern Great Barrier Reef, gives you a chance to snorkel over coral reefs, teeming with marine life. The island is an important nesting site to diverse birdlife and is part of the Capricornia Cays Important Bird Area. On our return to Brisbane, we stop two nights in the Sunshine Hinterland town of Montville and stay at a tranquil eco-retreat. Gentle walks include Kondalilla National Park in the scenic Blackall Range, along with Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve.
- View majestic trees and enjoy quiet walks in Bunya Mountains South Burnett region
- Discover the sandstone cliffs, caves and unique flora of Cania Gorge
- Visit Bundaberg’s Hinkler Hall of Aviation & Bundaberg Rum Distillery
- Cruise to the Southern Great Barrier Reef, Lady Musgrave Island
- Walk amongst the eucalypts & subtropical rainforest of Kondalilla National Park
- Explore Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve, a living museum of diverse plants
Dates: 23 - 31 August 2023 (9 days)
Price per person Twin share/person (starts / ends Brisbane) A$4,525
Single Supplement: A$1,064
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable roommate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 7 guests
Wildlife, Botanical, History, Geology, Birding
Easy to Moderate: 3-12km per walking day with some longer options based on additional guided nature walks. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
- Exploration walks from rainforest to reef
- Panoramic views Burnett to Brigalow
- Taste sensations Sunshine Coast Hinterland
- Abundance of cute wildlife
- Quintessential country towns
For fast, secure online bookings please select the number of guests and click 'Book Tour' below: