Celebrate walking, French wine, gastronomy and culture on this two week journey through the lush region of Burgundy. Walk sections of Grande Randonnée routes, greenways and local circuits. Visit châteaux, abbeys, explore medieval villages, delight in regional cuisine and taste the vin de Bourgogne! Meeting in the regional capital of Dijon, we explore the old city architecture with a history spanning Gothic to Art Deco. To the south west the Chemin de Grands Crus is an 87km long trail exploring the Côte d'Or countryside. Over several days we walk much of the trail from Nuit St Georges to Santenay. Near Beaune, our walks are rewarded with tastings at Châteaux Pommard, Meursault and Santenay. We pay a visit to Citeaux Abbey where Cistercian monks began wine growing many centuries ago and now produce their own artisan cheese. Further south, we explore the medieval town of Cluny and its famous abbey. We follow greenway walks, visit the local Taize community, 17th century Château de Cormatin and taste chardonnay wines from the Maconnais district. Travelling via Fontenay Abbey, we come to the hill town of Vézelay. The World Heritage listed Basilica of St Magdalene is an important pilgrimage location and a popular starting point for the Way of St James / Camino de Santiago. After a circular walk to Asquins, the tour ends in the town of Auxerre.
- Explore Burgundy, the heart of France, walking parts of the Chemin des Grands Crus (The Path of the Great Wines)
- Famous for its Pinot Noir & Chardonnay, taste local wine & learn about the wine making process in one of the world’s most prestigious wine destinations
- Sample regional delicacies
- Enjoy half & full day walks through medieval villages, rolling pastures, undulating vineyards & shady forests
- Stay in local towns & villages including Dijon, Beaune, Cluny & Vézelay
- Immerse in the history of Burgundy as we walk, with visits to museums, World Heritage listed abbeys & churches
03 - 16 September 2017 (13 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Dijon, ends Auxerre)
Advanced Early Bird: A$6,850 until 12/12/2016
Early Bird: A$7,050 until 08/05/2017
Single Supplement: A$1,160
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
Food, Culture and History
Moderate: 4 - 16km per walking day with some challenging options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
- Taste wine from the village of Pommard
- The amazing medieval complex at Château de la Rochepot
- The hill-top village of Vézelay
- Valk via the winemaking villages of Pommard and Volnay
- Visit the Hospice Hotel Dieux in Beaune
This tour is currently fully booked and on waitlist.
Please contact us if you would like to be added to the tour waitlist.