The world’s largest stand of Bunya pines, the vast Queensland sandstone wilderness, the rainforests of Eungella and the sparkling Whitsunday Islands all feature on this 13 day journey. Only three hours from Brisbane we enjoy a short stop in the pristine Bunya Mountains, an isolated section of the Great Dividing Range. To the north west, we settle into the Carnarvon Gorge Wilderness Lodge and have time to explore Carnarvon National Park. Our half and full day walks awaken the senses, as we discover the wealth of cultural and natural treasures of this very special park. Walks lead up the main gorge beside Carnarvon Creek to side gorges and to well-preserved Aboriginal rock engravings and ochre stencils. After taking in the birdlife at seasonal Lake Nuga Nuga, we overnight in the mining town of Blackwater, servicing the nearby open cut coal mines. Award winning museums, creative boardwalks, and botanical gardens await us in Mackay, Queensland’s largest sugar producing region. From our base at Broken River we explore the mist-shrouded and forest-clad mountain refuge of Eungella National Park, one of Queensland’s most ecologically diverse parks. We take a journey down memory lane with a third generation local to explore ridges, valleys and spurs once home to miners, loggers and now dairy and cattle farmers. Our journey ends in the tropical warmth of the Whitsunday Islands, with walks through Conway National Park and a cruise to an idyllic island, offering a chance to see majestic humpback whales and migratory birdlife.
- Explore iconic Queensland national parks
- Short walks in the Bunya Mountains
- Discover delightful rock pools, expansive outlooks, peaceful forests
- Wander through ancient sandstone cliffs at Carnarvon Gorge NP
- Visit one of the largest seasonal lakes in Central Qld at Nuga Nuga NP
- Stroll past waterfalls & volcanic boulders in the Pioneer Valley
- Walk mist-shrouded & forest-clad tracks in Eungella NP
- Take in superb views on coastal walks at Conway NP
- Cruise & explore the tropical wonderland of Whitsunday Island
- View abundant birdlife, kangaroos, whiptail wallabies, platypus & humpback whales
01-13 August 2019 (12 nights)
Twin share/person (starts Brisbane / ends Whitsundays)
Advanced Early Bird: A$4980 until 30/11/2018
Early Bird: A$5,180 until 03/04/2019
Single Supplement: A$1,050
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 10 guests
Accommodation: 3-4 star hotel/motel & cabin/cottages with private facilities
Birding, Wildlife, Botanical, History
Easy to Moderate: 5-15km per walking day with some longer options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Carnarvon Gorge NP Ancient Art Gallery
- Birding Lake Nuga Nuga Arcadia Valley
- Sunrise with locals Cape Hillsborough Beach
- Forest walks Eungella NP & Finch Hatton Gorge
- Explore Whitsunday Islands & Conway NP
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.