Journey with us to the ancient red heart, walk parts of the famous Larapinta Trail and explore some of the lesser known parts of Central Australia. Alice Springs is the perfect starting point introducing us to the pioneering and Aboriginal history of this beautiful area. This unique town is shaped by its mythical landscapes, shifting hues, Aboriginal culture and tough pioneering past. The surrounding area is a geological wonder of spectacular gorges, chasms and prominent waterholes that support diverse native fauna and flora. The mesmerising MacDonnell Ranges stretch east and west from the town centre and we discover ochre-red gorges, pastel-hued hills and ghostly white gum trees. Our second base is Glen Helen and we stop en route for walks at Standley Chasm, Ellery Big Hole and the Ochre Pits, still used by local Aranda people. During our stay at Glen Helen we will walk parts of Ormiston Gorge, Finke River (said to be one of the world’s oldest rivers), Roma Gorge, Glen Helen Gorge, Mt Sonder and Redbank Gorge. On our return to Alice Springs, we take in the view at Gosse Bluff and enjoy walks at Palm Valley and Hermannsburg. We then spend time in the east MacDonnell Ranges based at the Ross River Homestead and enjoy walks at Emily Gap, Trephina Gorge and Arltunga historical reserve (officially Central Australia's first town). You may like to extend your time in the centre with a trip to Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park.
- Learn the natural & geological history at the Museum of Central Australia
- Walk through desert rivers, sand country and woodland habitats in Alice Springs Desert Park
- Visit the Ochre Pits in West MacDonnell National Park & explore waterholes at Simpsons Gap, Ellery Creek Big Hole & Ormiston Gorge
- Walk sections of the Larapinta Trail including Finke River, Redbank Gorge & Mt Sonder
- Explore Standley Chasm, Roma Gorge, Glen Helen Gorge, Tnorala (Gosse Bluff), Palm Valley, Hermannsburg, Emily Gap, Trephina Gorge & N’Dhala Gorge
- View Aboriginal rock art & participate in cultural conversations
02 - 12 August 2017 (10 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Alice Springs)
Advanced Early Bird: A$4,550 until 25/11/2016
Early Bird: A$4,750 until 08/05/2017
Single Supplement: A$730
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 6 guests
Wildlife, Culture, History, Botanical, Art
Moderate: 2 - 10km per walking day with some shorter or challenging options (dry heat). Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.