Sixty kilometres off north-eastern Tasmania is a world of craggy mountains, quiet inlets, lagoons and white sandy beaches. Spend a week with local people as we explore the bays, headlands and high points of Flinders, the largest island in the Furneaux group. Immerse ourselves in the orange hue of lichen-covered rocks or the intricate patterns of tidal pools. For a bigger picture, hike to the summit of Mt Strzelecki, the highest point on the island. On a clear day, the views are spectacular to the far north east coast of Tasmania. A half-day coastal walk leads to the limestone formations and caves of Settlement Point plus Wybalenna, the last settlement of Tasmanian Aborigines. The nearby Furneaux Museum documents the island’s history. There are also chances to see Cape Barren Geese, the second rarest in the world. A day cruise in sheltered waters explores the outer islands, bustling with shearwater rookeries and other sea birds. On the last day, enjoy the views from the craggy granite formations of Darling Range.
- Spend a week with local people as we explore the bays, headlands & high points of the largest island in the Furneaux group
- Hike to the summit of Mt Strzelecki, for views of Flinders & surrounding islands off Tasmania’s north east coast
- Gentle coastal walks to bays, inlets & headlands with ever-changing vistas
- Admire the orange hue of lichen-covered rocks & the intricate patterns of tidal pools
- Take a day cruise in sheltered waters to the outer islands, bustling with shearwater rookeries & other sea birds
24 - 31 October 2017 (7 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Gold Coast)
Early Bird: A$2,950 until 30/06/2017
Single Supplement: A$750
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
Botanical, Wildlife, Botanical, Culture
Easy to Moderate: 5 - 11km per walking day with optional challenging walk. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Castle Rock Walk
- Mt Strzelecki by Stu Gibson
- Wybalenna Chapel by Dietmar Kahles
- Flinders Island Farmland by Dietmar Kahles
- Flinders Island Wetlands by Dietmar Kahles
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.