Flinders Ranges Exploration - Walking HolidayClick the image above and use arrows to view more images.
Spanning 400km, the Flinders Ranges are one of Australia’s most captivating arid mountain chains. Renowned for their natural, cultural and geological significance, the 'Flinders’ are rich in cultural heritage and famed for craggy peaks, river red gums, quiet gorges and abundant wildlife. Our overland journey explores the length and breadth of this ancient part of the world. We loop back in time (1600 million years) deep into geological history. Melrose, our first stop, includes walks to nearby Alligator Gorge in Mount Remarkable National Park. At Wilpena Pound (Ikara) we confront the full majesty of the ranges via a network of backtracks and memorable walks from our base at Rawnsley Park Station. Pushing north, past the Gammon Ranges, our walks delve into the mountain labyrinth and mineral marvel that is Arkaroola. Then, crossing back west, the legendary Prairie Hotel is the base for forays into the mighty Parachilna and Brachina gorges, home to Yellow-footed rock wallabies and vivid heart of 'Heysen country’. Immersing ourselves in mid-nineteenth century we end our travels soaking up the history of Burra.
- Discover dramatic gorges & diverse wildlife in Mount Remarkable National Park
- Wander the rim of the awe-inspiring natural amphitheatre of Wilpena Pound (Ikara)
- Stay on a sheep station & relax around evening campfires
- Walk sections of the Gammon Ranges, Mawson Plateau & Heysen Trail
- Bushwalks around Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary
- Explore ancient geographical landscapes in Bunyeroo Valley & Brachina Gorge
- Visit the historical village of Burra
- Two tour leaders give a choice of varied walk options
05 - 13 May 2018 (8 nights)
Twin share/person (ex/ends Adelaide)
Advanced Early Bird: A$4,150 until 24/11/2017
Early Bird: A$4,350 until 05/01/2018
Single Supplement: A$600
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
3-4 star motels, cabins, guesthouses with private facilities (1 night shared)
Wildlife, Botanical, History, Geology
Moderate: 5 - 18km per walking day with some shorter or longer off-track options (some challenging options due to rough tracks) Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Alligator Gorge in Mount Remarkable National Park
- Experience the classic Arkaroola 4WD Ridgetop tour
- Explore ancient geographical landscapes
- Journey with like-minded travellers
- Stay in the famed Prairie Hotel in Parachilna
This tour is currently fully booked and on waitlist.
Please contact us if you would like to be added to the tour waitlist.