The elemental power of glaciers, geysers, volcanoes, waterfalls and wind will awaken our senses on this Arctic adventure. Our circular journey of Iceland begins in Reykjavik before visiting the Golden Circle of World Heritage listed Thingvellir National Park, Geysir geothermal area & Gullfoss waterfall on the Hvita River. After walking up to the perfect crater of Eldborg, we explore the Snaefellsnes peninsula and national park known for its glaciers and caves to the mythical underworld. A boat tour of Breidafjordur Bay is followed by a journey across the northern farmlands. Staying in a country hotel, we experience the traditional ways of life at the folk museum before visiting the northern capital of Akureyri. Near Lake Myvatn, we visit waterfalls, craters, mud-pools and lava forests. On the eastern side of Iceland, we admire the powerful Dettifoss waterfall and enjoy a hike through basalt formations to more waterfalls. From the eastern fjords, we travel to the southern lagoons and sand-plains to visit the magical oasis of Landmannalaugar where the colours of the rhyolite mountains are simply mind blowing. Before returning to Reykjavik, we experience dramatic icescapes up close with a walk on Solheimajokull glacier. We then spend four days in Kulusuk and Tasiilaq on Greenland’s SE coast. Here we will have an opportunity to mingle with the locals, meet some sled dogs and enjoy a traditional Inuit drum dance.
- Explore the geological wonders of Geysir geothermal area, lava flows of Snaefellsjokull & Thingvellir National Parks
- Taste Viking sushi on a boat tour of Breidafjordur Bay & watch the icebergs from Jokulsarlon lagoon
- Cross the northern farmlands to visit waterfalls, craters, mud-pools & lava forests near Lake Myvatn
- Witness Europe’s most powerful waterfall, Dettifoss & explore the craters of the Krafla volcano system
- Visit the basalt columns & black sands of Reynisfjara beach
- Walk with a qualified glacier guide on Solheimajokull glacier
- Fly to Kulusuk & Ammassalik islands off Greenland’s SE coast to meet local children, sled dogs & enjoy Inuit drum dancing
26 August - 10 September 2017 (15 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Reykjavik)
Advanced Early Bird: A$11,950 until 25/11/2016
Early Bird: A$12,150 until 08/05/2017
Single Supplement: A$1,930
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 12 guests
Wildlife, Geology, Culture, History
Easy to Moderate: 2 - 8km per walking day. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.