Starting in Cairns this 16-day journey travels west via Crater Lakes National Park, staying two nights in Undara’s unique railway carriages where we are welcomed into the outback with a spectacular sunset tour. Savannah Guides introduce us to the fascinating world of Undara Volcanic National Park as we explore the world’s longest single vent lava flow. Continuing west we spend two nights in Normanton, gateway to the Gulf of Carpentaria’s major fishing port of Karumba and take time to visit Les Wilson Barramundi Fishing Centre and unwind on a cruise along the Norman River – a perfect place to spot saltwater crocodiles and migratory birds among the mangroves. No visit to Normanton would be complete without a train ride aboard the historic Gulflander, a 1950 railmotor (also known as the Tin Hare). Travelling south west, we stay three nights at Adel’s Grove and explore the lush gorges of Boodjamulla National Park / Lawn Hill, with its palm-fringed waterholes and sheer sandstone walls. Here we canoe the waterways, swim in rock pools and walk to viewing points and Aboriginal rock art. Continuing on we visit the Riversleigh World Heritage Site and explore the Riversleigh Fossils Centre in Mt Isa. During our two-day stopover we include a visit to Isa Experience providing a fascinating insight into the mining industry development to the cultural diversity of Mount Isa. At the John Flynn museum in Cloncurry, we learn about the history of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. In the regional town of Richmond, we search for dinosaur fossils at the renowned Richmond Marine Fossil Museum, also known as Kronosaurus Korner. The tour ends in Townsville.
- Explore the best of Queensland's north & outback on this 16-day journey
- Spend two nights in unique accommodation at eco-accredited Undara Experience
- Discover Undara National Park with award winning Savanah Guides
- Experience Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria on land and water
- Unwind on the slow train journey aboard the historic Gulflander from Normanton
- Enjoy a sunset river cruise, crocodile & bird watching plus local seafood dinners
- Walk lush gorges, swim & canoe in the incredible Boodjamulla National Park (Lawn Hill)
- Escape to country towns like Croydon, Mt Isa, Cloncurry, Richmond & Charters Towers
- Learn about palaeontology at Riversleigh Fossil Centre & World Heritage site
19 May - 03 June 2021 (15 nights)
Twin share/person (starts Cairns/ends Townsville)
Advanced Early Bird: A$7,795 until 19 January 2021
Single Supplement: A$1,125
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
Wildlife, Botanical, Geology, History, Archaeology
Easy: 3–10km per walking day, on mostly well graded tracks with some moderate options including steeper sections on non-graded tracks with rough terrain. This tour is for anyone with a good level of fitness, and bushwalking experience. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions, track closures and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Wetlands & lush gorges at Boodjamulla (Lawn Hill)
- Visit fossil centres & bask in sunsets
- Lava Tubes at Undara Volcanic National Park
- Travel the Historic Gulflander Train
- Bush walks in the Queensland outback
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.