Join us for an 18 day journey through the spectacular landscapes of New Zealand’s South Island. Snow-covered peaks tower above tranquil lakes, waterfalls tumble from misty heights and walking tracks meander through moss-draped beech forests. From Christchurch we travel directly to Aoraki National Park for walks and an informative boat tour on the terminal lake of Tasman Glacier. Travelling via Dunedin, an overnight stay gives us access to the birdlife of the Otago Peninsula. This is home to the world’s only mainland albatross breeding colony. On the scenic south east coast, we have two days to explore the dense temperate rainforest of Catlins Forest Park. On Stewart Island, we walk to the wilderness of Maori Beach and visit nearby Ulva Island, a predator-free sanctuary for birds. From Te Anau, there’s the opportunity to visit the Fiordland wilderness that provides habitats for Bottlenose dolphins, New Zealand fur seals and the Fiordland crested penguin. Near Lake Wanaka, Mt Aspiring National Park is unveiled on the Rob Roy Alpine Walk. Crossing Haast Pass to the coast, our destination is Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge, located in the heart of the 2.7 million hectare South West New Zealand World Heritage Area. Our last port of call before we return to Christchurch is Hokitika, renowned for its greenstone and spectacular sunsets.
- Walks & a boat excursion at Aoraki National Park - Tasman Glacier
- Visit Otago Peninsula, famous for albatross & penguin viewing
- Forest & coastal walks in the Catlins, on the rugged south east coast
- Stay on Stewart Island for bushwalks & visit nearby Ulva Island
- Optional hike on the Routeburn track from Te Anau
- Enjoy the alpine beauty of Fiordland National Park
- Explore the alpine zones of Mt Aspiring National Park on the Rob Roy Alpine Walk
- Canoe on beautiful Lake Moeraki
- Walk with a Maori guide at Hokitika
24 February - 13 March 2018 (17 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Christchurch)
Advanced Early Bird: A$7,380 until 25/08/2017
Early Bird: A$7,580 until 27/10/2017
Single Supplement: A$1,580
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 10 guests
3-4 star hotels & lodges with private facilities (1 night shared)
Birding, Wildlife, Botanical, History
Easy to Moderate: 5 - 10km per walking day with some longer options . Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Enjoy the alpine watery beauty of Fiordland National Park
- Explore the alpine zones of Mt Aspiring National Park
- Take a beach walk to view the curious Moeraki Boulders
- Visit Otago Peninsula famous for albatross and penguin viewing
- Walks a boat excursion at Aoraki National Park - Tasman Glacier