Spend two weeks in one of south east Europe’s most intriguing destinations to explore the fairy tale landscapes of Romania’s Transylvania and Carpathian Mountains. We learn about rich traditions from local characters, visit World Heritage listed villages, fortified churches and castles while staying in Saxon villages known for lively folk culture. Meeting in northern Transylvania we connect in Cluj Napoca, before departing for Maramures, widely regarded as Romania's most traditional region. Dotted with steepled wooden churches and farmhouses fronted by ornately carved gates, it feels as if we have climbed into a horse-drawn time machine and headed back a couple of centuries. Here we explore hillside villages, see locals in traditional costume and marvel at farmers cultivating their land filled with enormous haystacks and enjoy walks in Creasta Cocosului National Reserve. Moving south we spend time in Turda exploring unique limestone gorges and a futuristic salt mine. After walks in Trascau Mountain, Western Carpathian ranges, to visit the beautifully preserved village of Rimetea, we spend two nights in 12th century Sibiu. We wander the meadows to a local shepherd family, spending time to share a meal of traditional homemade cheese and polenta delicacies. In the unspoilt Saxon village of Copsa Mare, our extended walks explore UNESCO sites in Biertan and Malancrav Villages along with colourful Sighisoara. Dating back to the 1100s, this fairy-tale fortified city lays claim to being the birthplace of Vlad II (also known as Vlad Dracula). From our base at Viscri, we embark on woodland walks to the enchanted village of Mesendorf. Heading to Brascov we spend two nights fringed by the Southern Carpathian Mountains in a local guesthouse, focusing on spectacular walks in Piatra Craiului National Park. Before ending our journey in the capital city of Bucharest, we visit the famous neo-renaissance Peles Castle.
- Start in Cluj Napoca – northern Transylvania
- Understand the diverse history of Romania with local guides
- Step back into medieval Europe in Maramures
- Wander over fairy tale landscapes dotted with haystacks & UNESCO heritage churches & castles
- Walk Creasta Cocosului National Reserve
- Explore traditional working villages of Breb, Desesti, Sighet & Leud
- Visit Turda Gorge & futuristic salt mine
- Walk Trascau Mountains trails - in the heart of Transylvania
- Soak up Saxon heritage in Copsa Mare, Biertan, Malancrav & Sighisoara
- Visit 12th century Sibiu & Viscri
- Enjoy walks in the majestic Carpathian Mountains & Piatra Craiului NP
- Visit enchanted Peles Castle & explore Bucharest
- Stay in handpicked guesthouses & enjoy traditional local fare
13 - 28 September 2019 (15 nights)
Twin share/person (starts/ends Bucharest)
Advanced Early Bird: A$6,780 22/02/2019
Early Bird: A$6,980l 17/05/2019
Single Supplement: A$890
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
Botanical, Culture, History, Geology
Easy to Moderate: 5–15km per walking day with some challenging sections. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.