From the castles of King Ludwig to the Zugspitze, Germany’s highest mountain, this new nine day tour is a taste of the Bavarian Alps. We begin in the regional capital of Munich where a local guide will introduce us to the stories of the Altstadt. There is also free time to visit the Nymphenburg Palace, Englischer Garten, Frauenkirche and taste local beers. Travelling on a short section of the Romantic Road, we settle into Fuessen in Allgau, at the base of the alps. With its medieval town centre and the nearby castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenscwangau, it feels like a royal estate strewn with villages and lakes. Half day walks approach the castles from various directions and we also walk beside the Lech River and the sparkling lakes dotting the region. Continuing via King Ludwig’s final home of Linderhof, we visit Ettal, a Benedictine monastery close to Oberammergau. Our next base is the mountain town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, close to the impressive Zugspitze. The walking trails are excellent, with several cable cars to help us gain the heights and enjoy lunch with views over the mountains and alpine meadows. Other walks lead to local gorges, a mountain monastery and through the old town, which features one of the best chocolate shops in Germany. We finish our tour in Garmisch Partenkirchen, or you can choose to continue on and join the Dolomites to the Oberland tour.
- Explore the Bavarian capital of Munich with two days based near the old town
- Travel via the Romantic Road to the medieval walled village of Fuessen
- Walk via royal paths to the castles of Neuschwanstein & Hohenscwangau
- Taste local specialties, cheese spaetzle, homemade cheese, apple strudel & beer of Ettal monastery
- Walk through narrow gorges near Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Take cog railways, cable cars & gondolas to mountain lookout points over the Zugspitze
01 June - 09 June 2019 (8 nights)
Twin share/person (starts Munich / ends Garmisch Partenkirchen)
Advanced Early Bird: A$3,280 until 30/11/2018
Early Bird: A$3,480 until 01/02/2019
Single Supplement: A$790
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 10 guests
Gourmet, Culture, History Geology
Easy to Moderate: 3-12 km per day, with some longer options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Explore the history of Munich
- Relax in Munich's English Gardens
- Enjoy the Partnachkamn Gorge Walk
- Wonder at the spectacular scenery of Bavaria
- Picturesque Garmisch Partenkirchen
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.