Sri Lanka is an often overlooked gem in the Indian Ocean. It boasts dense rainforests, tropical beaches, breathtaking highlands, abundant wildlife and a diverse cultural history. Explorations will take us into the cultural triangle of Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa and Sigiriya. Highlights include a walk led by a primatologist, enigmatic 600 foot high Sigiriya Rock climb and famous Dambulla Cave Temple, with its recumbent 47 foot long Buddha. Transferring to the central hill country we enjoy stunning views from our comfortable accommodation. This is our gateway for tours through local villages and to tropical mountain forests. Spectacular waterfalls, rambling views and local tea estates are key attractions of this region. Travelling south west to the biodiversity hotspot of Sinharaja, we stay near a World Heritage tropical rainforest. A local naturalist will lead us through this fertile area which is high in endemic species, especially birds. Our final destination is the seaside colonial city of Galle, an old trading port, influenced by Portuguese and Dutch colonialists, now resplendent with rambling laneways, ancient mosques, grand mansions and museums. A local guide leads us through the Galle Fort; illustrating connections between European architectural styles and South Asian traditions. Your 15 days will be filled with the exotic landscapes, tastes and delights of Sri Lanka.
- Discover national parks, wildlife, world heritage sites & culture of this Indian Ocean jewel
- View elephants and birdlife in Minneriya NP Elephant
- Tour ancient ruins at Anuradapura
- Learn about monkey conservation in Polonnaruwa
- Climb the 5th century Sigiriya Rock Fortress
- View statues & frescos at the Dambulla Cave complex
- Spend time in the heart of Sri Lanka tea country
- Hike rugged & picturesque Knuckles mountain range
- Experience rich biodiversity in Horton Plains NP & Sinharaja Rainforest Reserve
- Delight in the historic city of Galle & walk the Dutch built Galle Fort
- Taste exotic meals, learn of legends, traditions & folklore, & witness cultural shows
01 - 15 March 2019 (14 nights)
Twin share/person (starts/ends Colombo)
Advanced Early Bird: A$5,850 extended until 07/09/2018
Early Bird: A$6,050 until 15/11/18
Single Supplement: $1,350
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
3.5-4 star hotels & lodges with private facilities
Wildlife, Botanical, History, Culture and Food
Easy to Moderate: 5-15km per walking day with some challenging options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.