On this 19 day journey, we immerse ourselves in the best of nature, culture and regional food and wine that Portugal has to offer. We begin in Porto, the country’s second largest city with its medieval Ribeira district, bustling plazas and Baroque churches. We explore the country’s past and marvel at the origins of its architecture in the historical town of Guimares. In the Douro valley, we enjoy the comfort of luxury accommodation while exploring walks through vineyards and rural farms along with tranquil boat trips. We follow ancient trails still used by locals including to the medieval walled village of Marialva. At the Faia Brava Natural Reserve, we search for the Griffon vulture and Bonelli’s eagle. Nestled in the Alcains region, we discover the living museum of Monsanto before continuing to Crato in the middle of Alto Alentej province. After exploration walks around the megalithic structures of Alendres Cromlech, we enter the enchanted town of Evora to soak up the medieval history. The sleepy seaside village of Zambujeira do Mar allows us to explore the Sudoeste Alentejano Nature Park before travelling to Lisbon for our final nights. We have time for walks in the capital and explore the significant historical and cultural precincts.
- Discover the rambling cobble-stoned streets of Porto
- Wander through historically significant Guimares
- Explore the World Heritage listed Douro Valley, the birthplace of Port wine
- Enjoy half & full day pilgrim walks on village paths, Roman roads & rail trails
- Visit medieval castles in Marialva
- Explore Palaeolithic art at Foz Coa
- Marvel the impressive granite slops of Faia Brava Reserve
- Discover the village & giant boulders of Monsanto
- Lose yourself in the ancient streets of Evora
- Soak up the culture in Zambujeira do Mar on the Costa Vicentina
- Explore the historical precincts of Lisbon with local guides
15 October–02 November 2018 (18 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Porto, ends Lisbon)
Advanced Early Bird: A$9,470 until 23/02/2018
Early Bird: A$9,670 until 15/06/2018
Single Supplement: A$1,580
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 8 guests
Botanical, History, Culture, Geology
Moderate: 5–18km per walking day with some shorter or longer options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.