Madagascar is home to some of the world’s most unique flora and fauna including lemurs, chameleons, orchids and baobab trees. Our journey begins in the capital of Antananarivo. To the east in Andasibe, is our base for excursions into the lowland and mid-altitude rainforest of Andasibe-Mantadia National Park. We enjoy morning walks to spot lemurs, Eastern Ring-tailed mongoose, frogs and chameleons. Travelling through terraced farmlands, we arrive in Antsirabe, a highland town surrounded by volcanic lakes. After lakeside walks and visits to artisan workshops, we continue to Ranomafana National Park. This montane rainforest is home to lemurs, chameleons and almost half of Madagascar’s bird species. For a contrast, Andringitra National Park is a walker’s paradise with prairies and open grassland below lunar-like granite massifs. We walk in the canyons and riparian rainforests of Ranohira Isalo National Park, then, to the south, forests of spiny “octopus” trees contrast with ancient baobabs. At Ifaty and Anakao, we snorkel on coral reefs and visit Tsimanampetsotsa National Park which is famous for its Pink and Dwarf Flamingos, before we return to the capital.
- Visit six of Madagascar’s national parks protecting a huge variety of ecosystems
- Encounter many of Madagascar’s endemic species including lemur, chameleon, geckos, birdlife & insects
- Walk in a range of rainforest habitats, prairies & open grasslands
- Enjoy the colonial architecture of the larger towns & ochre brick buildings of smaller villages
- Visit local markets famed for wooden & natural fibre art & craft
- Snorkel on the world’s third largest coral reef & visit bird colonies on nearby islands
15 April - 04 May 2018 (19 nights)
Twin share/person (ex Antananarivo)
Advanced Early Bird: A$7,365 until 25/08/2017
Early Bird: A$7,565 until 15/12/2017
Single Supplement: A$1,250
Note: For guests who request a single room the single supplement will be charged. For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable room-mate, but if this is not possible the single supplement surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group Size: 4 guests
3-4 star hotel & lodge accommodation with private facilities
Wildlife, Botanical, Culture, Geology
Moderate: 5 - 15km per walking day with some shorter or longer options. Age is not necessarily as important as your fitness and recent walking experience, and anyone of reasonable fitness should be able to join this tour. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions and group fitness.
Note - The free program Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open PDF files.
- Andringitra National Park
- Get a taste of Madagascan life
- Jardin du Roy Accommodation at Ranohira
- Lemur at Camp Catta Anja Park
- Ranohira Isalo National Park
This tour is currently fully booked and on waitlist.
Please contact us if you would like to be added to the tour waitlist.