Over 12 days we immerse ourselves in the best of nature, culture, and regional food and wine that Portugal has to offer. We begin in romantic Porto, with its medieval Ribeira district, bustling plazas and Baroque churches. We take to the hills of Peneda Geres National Park to explore pilgrim trails through time-worn villages and landscapes sculptured by geological forces, wind and water. In Douro Valley, we enjoy the comfort of luxury accommodation while being spoilt with gourmet meals, walks through vineyards and rural farms, and local train and boat rides. Following old stone walls and small villages we find ourselves in the beautiful 12th century historical village of Marialva, complete with a lofty castle, narrow cobbled streets and a cluster of granite-built houses. Foz Coa River Valley takes us back to the Ice Age with a visit to an archaeological museum and a wander through a remarkable open-air collection of Palaeolithic stone art. At Faia Brava Natural Reserve, we search for Griffon vulture and Bonelli’s eagle and visit the pilgrim village of Castelo Rodrigo. Dubbed the most ‘Portuguese town in Portugal’, we wander the cobbled streets of Monsanto. With granite houses squeezed between and under giant boulders, it looks like real life Bedrock. We next visit the historic town of Lousã, home to many rare animal species and whose natural beauty and preserved schist villages offer numerous trails for cycling, walking and hiking. We finish in the capital and World Heritage listed centre, Lisbon.
- Stay in the old town of romantic Porto
- Wander pilgrimage trails in Peneda Geres National Park
- Explore World Heritage listed Douro Valley, the birthplace of Port wine
- Enjoy half & full day walks on village paths, Roman roads & rail trails
- Explore Palaeolithic art at Foz Coa
- Ride the historic Douro railway then stay in medieval village of Marialva
- Walk beneath shady oak forests and towering cliffs of Faia Brava Reserve
- Discover the living museum of Monsanto & stone villages of Lousã
- Finish with time in the World Heritage listed capital of Lisbon
- Accommodation in boutique hotels, luxury inns and including all meals
Dates: 21 Oct - 01 Nov 2023
Price: Twin share / per person (Porto to Lisbon) A$8,608
Single Supplement: A$2,241
Note: For single people who prefer to share, we will try to find a suitable roommate, but if this is not possible the sole-use surcharge will apply.
Minimum Group size: 8 guests
Special Interest: Gourmet, Culture, History, Geology
Walk Rating: 5-12km per walking day, on mostly well graded tracks. There are some moderate to challenging sections with steeper, rougher or non-graded tracks. This tour is for anyone with a good level of fitness, and bushwalking experience. We reserve the right to be flexible with the itinerary to allow for unforeseen circumstances including weather conditions, track closures and group fitness.
This tour is closed for online bookings.
Please contact us if you are interested in this tour.